The latest Apple's operating system for MacOS, Big Sur is out since September 2020. However the new OS is available for a while now, many Mac users are still sceptical about upgrading to Big Sur - especially the ones who are using older machines.
The simple answer to the question whether you should upgrade to Big Sur or not is that Big Sur is a bit too heavy and needs a faster machine to performance better, which means if your machine is older than 2015, you will be having difficulties to make Big Sur running smooth on your computer.
Here is a simple check list for you to see if Big Sur is for your or not - Goa ahead and upgrade to Big Sur if your answers are all positive:
- Is your machine model newer than 2015?
- Do you have minimum of 16GB of memory?
- Is your storage at least 120GB?
And here is the list Mac machines that are compatible with Big Sur OSX:
- MacBook made in 2015 or later
- MacBook Air made in 2013 or later
- MacBook Pro made in late 2013 or later
- Mac mini made in 2014 or later
- iMac made in 2014 or later
- iMac Pro
- Mac Pro made in 2013 or later
Big Sur OS is available to download for free. You can find it on the App Store or on the Apple website here.